Dr. Holly Ordway is an academic, a poet, and a Christian apologist on the faculty of Houston Baptist University. She earned her doctorate in English Literature from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, her MA in English Literature from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and an MA in Christian Apologetics from Biola University. She writes on the role of imagination in apologetics, with special attention to the work of CS Lewis and Charles Williams. She is the author of Not God’s Type: A Rational Academic Finds a Radical Faith.
I am convinced of the value of both Reason and Imagination in communicating the truth of the Christian faith. I am committed to the project of evangelism and discipleship in the spirit of C.S. Lewis’ “mere Christianity.”
In my writing and speaking, I use literature and poetry to help audiences think clearly and deeply about matters of faith, always with the same goal: to guide them into a closer personal relationship with the most holy Trinity, God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
I speak and write regularly on apologetics and literature. My particular areas of interest are cultural and literary apologetics; the role of the imagination in apologetics; fantasy literature; poetry; and the work of the Inklings, especially J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, Owen Barfield, and C.S. Lewis.
Here are a few of my talks that were recorded for podcasts. You can find my updated list of podcasts here.
- “The Role of the Imagination in the Life of Faith”: (video) Biola University Undergraduate Chapel
- Imagination and Reality: Part 1 (Imagination and Identity), Part 2 (A Divided Culture), and Part 3 (Where Do We Go From Here?)
- “Literature as Apologetics“
- “Why Poetry Matters.” CS Lewis Foundation: Vacation with a Purpose.
- “Literature and Faith: the Poetry of George Herbert.” Rivendell Sanctuary.
Lecture and Workshop Topics
Some of my lecture and workshop topics include:
- Imagination and Reality
- Literature as a Mode of Apologetics
- Why Poetry Matters
- The Gospel in The Lord of the Rings
- Family-Friendly Fantasy? Morality in Harry Potter and Twilight
- Why We Can Trust the Bible
- Praying the Psalms
- The Spiritual Journey in Literature
- C.S. Lewis and the Art of Wordsmithing
“Holly Ordway is a brilliant and gifted communicator. She is an excellent speaker and a superb writer. She has a deep well of knowledge to call upon and has the skill to bring her ideas alive to a whole range of people–from the most educated to the least. Her love for people and for ideas comes out very naturally and I believe that’s why her audiences listen so attentively. I cannot recommend her more highly.”
– Dr. Craig Hazen, Director, Biola University Christian Apologetics MA Program
“Holly’s skill as an insightful writer able to stir the intellect, heart, and emotions is absolutely first-rate.”
– Steve Lyon, Editor in Chief and Associate Publisher at Moody Publishers