Dr. Holly Ordway is the chair of the Department of Apologetics and director of the M.A. in Apologetics at Houston Baptist University. She holds a Ph.D. in English Literature from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, an MA in English Literature from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and an MA in Christian Apologetics from Biola University. She is the author of Not God’s Type: A Rational Academic Finds a Radical Faith (2nd. ed., Ignatius Press, 2014).
In my writing and speaking, I focus on imaginative apologetics, which is part of the larger project of cultural apologetics. In the broad sense, cultural apologetics addresses worldviews and the philosophy behind them; considers history and how our contemporary culture was formed; and engages with all expressions of literature and the arts, both ‘high’ and popular. Imaginative apologetics considers the role of the imagination as a necessary component of rational thought, as a key element in the creation of meaning, and an essential part of the apologetics project in the 21st century.
My particular specialties are literary apologetics and the work of the Inklings, especially Charles Williams, J.R.R. Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis.
The following is a list of topics for lectures that I give regularly, for my standard honorarium. I am happy to adjust a talk to meet the needs of a particular conference; if you would like a new talk, I can do that with an honorarium that reflects the additional time for preparation.
- An atheist’s journey to faith
- Introduction to literary apologetics
- C.S. Lewis and imaginative apologetics
- Imagination and faith / imagination and apologetics
- Specific issues in literary and imaginative apologetics:
- Charles Williams and C.S. Lewis on sexual ethics
- Language, meaning, and message in apologetics related to cultural issues (sexual ethics, abortion, heaven and hell)
- Excellence in Christian writing
Here are a few of my talks that have been recorded.
- “The Role of the Imagination in the Life of Faith”: (video) Biola University Undergraduate Chapel
- “An Atheist’s Journey to Faith” (video)
- Literature, CS Lewis & Conversion - Holly Ordway & Laura Miller on the radio show Unbelievable?
- “The Importance of Excellence in Christian Writing.“
- “Finding God in Fairy Tales.”
- “Charles Williams and C.S. Lewis: The Influence of ‘Descent into Hell’“
- Imagination and Reality: Part 1 (Imagination and Identity), Part 2 (A Divided Culture), and Part 3 (Where Do We Go From Here?)
- “Literature as Apologetics“
Booking a Lecture
If you are interested in having me speak at your conference or event, please do be in touch!
You can use this contact form which has space for the relevant details about your event, so that I can easily check my calendar for availability.
Note: I am in the United States during the academic year, and generally in the UK over the summer, so I am available for booking on both sides of the Atlantic!